Katie Ehmann (Blog: Katie Ehmann | Instagram: @a2kate | Pinterest: @katie_ehmann | Twitter: @katieehmann) created this lovely 3D heart garland with her Silhouette and turned it into a fabulous tutorial so you can learn how to make one too!
Supplies: Striped Straws Paper (366179) – Polka Dot Party, Fantastic Favors Paper (366176) – Polka Dot Party, Cheerful Chalkboard Paper (366174) – Polka Dot Party, Polka Dot Plates Paper (366177) – Polka Dot Party, Cutesy Cupcake Paper (366164) – Polka Dot Party, Wonderful Wrapping Paper (366178) – Polka Dot Party, Delightful Display Paper (366162) – Polka Dot Party, Perfect Picture Paper (366163) – Polka Dot Party, Sparkling Stars Paper (366161) – Polka Dot Party, Pretty Party Hat Paper (366166) – Polka Dot Party, Giddy Guest Paper (366167) – Polka Dot Party, Savvy Skirt Paper (366168) – Polka Dot Party, Terrific Tunes Paper (366170) – Polka Dot Party, Luminous Lights Paper (366175) – Polka Dot Party, Flourishing Flowers Paper (366180) – Polka Dot Party, Ribbon Spools (366193) – Dear Lizzy, sewing machine, thread, Silhouette Cameo
1. Choose your papers. I chose Dear Lizzy Polka Dot Party papers in a wide variety of patterns and colors for an eclectic look.
2. Using your Silhouette software, choose a basic heart shape. Copy and paste the heart then re-size so it fits inside the first heart. Repeat with another, smaller heart to make three hearts total. Copy and paste those hearts. Then, move each heart to create six separate hearts.
3. Cut six hearts from each piece of patterned paper with your Silhouette. You'll end up with a big pile of three differently sized hearts.
4. When all the hearts are cut, layer three differently sized hearts together and sew down the middle with your sewing machine.
5. Gently fold the top two layers to create a 3-dimensional effect. Repeat for each heart.
6. Gather all your completed 3-dimensional hearts and machine stitch each heart to a long length of ribbon. I sewed two yards of ribbon together so that my garland would fit my fireplace mantel.