We're excited to welcome Nicole Samuels to the American Crafts Design Team!
Blog: Nicole Samuels
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Short bio: I live in Virginia with my husband and 4 children, ages 11 to 4. I discovered scrapbooking more than 10 years ago after receiving some supplies as a gift and immediately fell in love with this hobby as both a creative outlet and a way to document life’s sweetest moments. I’ve been fortunate to design for several scrapbooking manufacturers, teach at both local stores and conventions, and be published in various print and digital paper crafting magazines. In addition to scrapbooking, I enjoy reading, being outdoors, spending time with my family, and practicing photography.
Favorite thing to scrap: My family! Special events to everyday moments… I love them all.
Favorite American Crafts product: Thickers. You can never have too many letter stickers in your collection!
5 fun facts:
1. I love to read, but hate starting a new book. It takes me a few chapters before I can let go of the last book I read and really sink into the new one.
2. My favorite smell in the world is that first spring day when you open the windows and the whole house smells fresh and new!
3. I leave the manufacturer's strip along the bottom of a 12x12 sheet of paper on until the very last moment when scrapbooking. (I usually use patterned paper as my background/base paper) I'll finish the entire layout first and then at the end, trim off that strip from my base paper. I don't know why but this just has become a scrapbooking ritual for me!
4. I'm a science nerd and in my former life (aka "before motherhood") I used to teach 10th and 12th grade Biology. I also used to coach JV cheerleading… crazy but true!
5. I've never dyed or even highlighted my hair. I kind of think I'd like to try something different, but I'm a big chicken about taking the plunge!
How to: I started by use my Silhouette Cameo and black and orange sketch pens to create the title on my background paper. Then I cut a strip of the orange patterned paper to block off the top of the page and add some contrast. I selected a bunch of embellishments and tags and my photo and arranged them in a banner design. Finally I stitched across the top of the banner pieces with some orange floss.
REMINDER: Our American Crafts 2014-2015 Design Team Blog Hop winner will be chosen tomorrow so make sure you've gone through the hop and left a comment on Sunday's post - we'll be back to annouce the winner in the morning as well as do our last Spotlight feature!
Returning for another year is Design Team Member Heather Leopard:
Blog: Heather Leopard
Location: Cypress, TX
Short bio: Heather has enjoyed capturing and documenting memories as far back as she can remember but it was the birth of her children and her desire to capture candid photos and document their stories that reignited her passion for scrapbooking. She considers her style to be Layered Chic, mixing, matching and layering multiple patterns in unique, innovative ways. Heather has an eye for details and enjoys storytelling journaling. Her work has been published in many leading print and specialty print magazines. Heather designs for American Crafts and Simple Stories as well as Gossamer Blue kit club. Heather leads marketing initiatives for a leading computer company and lives in Cypress, Texas with her husband, two daughters and her bonus son.
Favorite thing to scrap: I take a million photos of every family event, activity, and trip and while I do scrap those pictures, my most favorite thing to scrap are the daily life adventures of my children. I try to find the small little details that capture the essence of whatever it is we are doing and I focus in on those photos and moments.
Favorite American Crafts product: Patterned paper!!! I love mixing and matching in unique ways to help complete the story of the photos.
5 fun facts:
1. My hubby and I got engaged while on vacation in St. Lucia and got married on the beach 3 days later. 11 years and 3 kids later and we are stronger than ever!
2. I love a great adventure, from scuba diving in beautiful places (sometimes with free-roaming sharks) to playing in an enclosure with lion cubs to exciting roller coasters. I'm always up for a thrill.
3. When I turn off the house alarm after coming home, I have to time myself to enter the deactivation codes with the rhythm of the alarm warning beeps. Weird, I know.
4. We have two rescue dogs who are super sweet and very spoiled.
5. I am lucky enough to work at home for a global company that offers me tremendous flexibility but also allows me to travel to places around the world that I've always dreamed of visiting.
Supplies: Shimelle (368140) - Keller paper, (368148) - Jamison paper, (368146) - Resnick paper, (368137) - Crane paper, (368151) - Baxter paper, (368144) - Ride paper, (368173) - die cut cardstock shapes, (368162) - Fitzgerald glitter letter stickers, (368163) - Dunbar foil letter stickers
How to: Choose a background paper with little pattern to it. Choose 1 paper with little background or a tone on tone background. Trim it to a 10x10 and adhere it to the background paper, flush to the right and bottom edge. Stitch the top (and fold the paper up) and stitch the middle of the paper. Select 2 more papers with a fun pattern, like the stripes and hearts paper I used. Cut them into super duper large page corners. Adhere to the top left and bottom right. Add layers behind your photo. Add embellishments and your title. Tuck your journaling under your photo layers or write it under your title.
Blog: Gillian Nelson
Location: Tualatin, OR
Short bio: Hi, I'm Gillian Nelson. "Jillian Nelson?" you might ask. Nope. Gillian Nelson. Guh. Gillian. I'm named after my Uncle Gil, so the "Gil" in my name is pronounced like his. But the majority of people want to pronounce it as Jillian. That's ok, though. After 40+ years of it, I just smile and nod when they do. If you'd like, you can call me "G". It's just easier. I'm a native of Arizona, but moved to the green state of Oregon six years ago. I do miss our family and friends in AZ, but man, have we found our perfect place. We all love it here, and by we, I mean my husband, Steve, and our three younger Nelsons. We're campers and computer nerds and Star Wars fans. And that pretty much sums us up. I started scrapbooking when I was pregnant with my oldest who is now a Sophomore in high school. The time has flown, my style has changed, but my passion for color and paper is just as strong now as it was 15 years ago. Paper has a direct connection to my soul and I know some of you are nodding right now as you read that. I love that about this hobby.
Favorite thing to scrap: I love scrapping the random, candid shots that I happen to catch during everyday life, and telling the stories behind them.
Favorite American Crafts product: I've been a fan of American Crafts brads since the beginning of time. (Yes, AC brads go back that far.) My most recent AC favorite has to be the Zing! embossing powders. They're magic in a little jar.
5 fun facts:
1. I could eat Mexican food 7 days a week. The hotter the better.
2. Escalators scare me. You don't want to stand behind me while trying to get on an escalator. It takes me a few moments to steel myself, and if you're in a hurry, you'll find me rather annoying. I apologize in advance should our paths ever cross at the top of one.
3. Ricky Gervais once tweeted a response to me. It was a happy face. So we're practically best friends.
4. My iPhone told me as I was pulling it out of my jeans pocket one day that there were 13 fitness centers in my area. Not even kidding. And to make it even worse, this unsolicited information was given to me on my birthday. Siri hates me.
5. I have an Old Boston Bulldog named Wednesday who is a total mama's girl and I adore her. People insist that she's spoiled, but I argue that she's valued. There's a difference.
Supplies: Shimelle (368154) - Rubin Paper, (368145) - Herschel Paper, (368157) - Granville Paper, (368165) - Layered Chipboard Stickers; Haunted Hallow (368904) - 12x12 Paper Pack; Studio Calico Printshop (331715) - Wood Veneer Shapes-Circles with Words, (331714) - Wood Veneer Shapes-Hearts, (331737) - Sequins; DIY (368165) - Chalkboard Tags, (366900) - Mini Stapler; Pens (PP05-62321) - Precision 0.5, (PP03-62311) - Precision 0.3, (CSGP-62585) - Candy Shop Gel-Pastel White; Remarks (42482) - JFK Sticker Book, This to That (AMF617-10) - Foam Tab Squares; Cardstock (AC71259) - White
How to: Trim the white cardstock to 8.5x11. Cut thin strips of varying widths from 4 patterned papers. Ink the edges of the strips, and adhere each strip to one chalkboard tag, near the bottom. Turn the tags on their sides, and adhere them to the right side of the page so that they're "stacked" vertically up the page. Ink the edges of the photo and adhere it towards the top of the right side of the page. Glue a small wood veneer heart to the chipboard "clipboard" embellishment, and adhere the piece to the page, overlapping the photo. Add two more wood veneer pieces towards the top and bottom of the layout to form a visual triangle with the small veneer heart. Add number stickers to the bottom tag along the edge of the page. Adhere gold star sequins. Staple the tag ties to the cardstock background. Add journaling to the tags using white ink, and to the left border of the page using black. Place foam tabs behind one corner of the photo and a corner of two of the tags to add a little more dimension.
Spotlights continue and today we're featuring returning Design Team Member and Blogger, Paige Evans (that's me! :)!
Blog: Paige Evans
Location: Grafenwöehr, Germany
Short bio: I've been scrapping for 13 years, ever since I was 16 years old and got my very first job at a scrapbooking store in Redmond, WA called Yesterdays. They didn't even have an application, just took my name and phone number. I wonder what my life would be like now had I not walked into that store that fateful day because so much of my life has revolved around scrapbooking since then! I work from home as a mom by day and by night I manage the American Crafts blog and design team and am on the Studio Calico Creative Team. I also love teaching classes near and far. Basically, I LOVE scrapbooking! I've been married to my better half Chris for 7 years and we have a 4-year-old son named Fox and a 2-year-old daughter named Jane. Currently we're living on an Army base in Grafenwöehr, Germany. My husband is a dentist in the Army and we're loving our adventures here!
Favorite thing to scrap: I love scrapping about my son and daughter. They're my inspiration!
Favorite American Crafts product: Hands down, patterned paper!
5 fun facts:
1. My favorite bands are Linkin Park and Chevelle - what can I say, I love hard rock :)
2. My favorite show (well, one of many!) is X-Files and we have a son named Fox because of the character Fox Mulder.
3. We used a have a LOT of animals (chinchillas, finches, a parrot, fish, rabbit, dog, cat). I think our neighbors thought we were a little nutso!
4. I know Morse Code.
5. I've calculated that I've eaten over 18,000 bowls of cereal in my life. Yup, I love cereal.
Supplies: 6x6 Paper Pad (368160) - Shimelle, Layered Chipboard Stickers (368165) - Shimelle, Small Sticker Book (368166) - Shimelle, Rub On Transfers (368168) - Shimelle, Wood Veneer Shapes (368175_ = Shimelle
How to: Hand cut a long title from the 6x6 Shimelle patterned papers. Paint white stripes across a gray cardstock background and then stitch the letters in place. Add three mini photos to the gap between the lines and embellish with chipboard, a wood veneer banner trimmed in half, rub ons, and stickers. Stamp the date below the right photo and drop black India ink around the layout. Embellish minimally with enamel dots placed on matching colored paper letters.
This week is all about getting to know our new team! Starting with Ashley Horton:
Blog: Ashley Horton
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Short bio: Hi, my name is Ashley Horton, and I am a wife, stay at home mom, crafter, movie and book lover, and pretty much Jane of all trades in our little home. I fell in love with Scrapbooking over 8 years ago and have been busy creating ever since. I am a traditional scrapbooker and I am mostly a layout kind of girl, but I also create projects and cards here and there. I am so excited to return to the American Crafts Team for another year and continue to work with their amazing products. When I am not creating, I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking, reading, and watching movies.
Favorite thing to scrap: I love to scrapbook my family and just the everyday moments of life!
Favorite American Crafts product: It's never easy to pick one, so I'll pick two! The patterned papers and Thickers are two of my all time favorites!
5 fun facts:
1. I don't like my food to touch on my plate, and I am not fond of foods with a lot of ingredients mixed in... especially casseroles!
2. I've never had a broken bone.
3. When I'm working on a layout, I like to get it all finished in one sitting and I always have to clean up before starting a new project.
4. I love to listen to Bagpipe/Celtic music.
5. My favorite snack of choice, since I was in elementary school, has always been chips and dip!
Supplies: Shimelle (368158) - Dowdy, Shimelle (368136) - Goodall, Shimelle (368139) - Hurley, Shimelle (368171) - Photo Overlays, Shimelle (368166) - Accent & Phrase Stickers, Shimelle (368164) - Letter Stickers, Shimelle (368165) - Dimensional Stickers, Shimelle (368167) - Cork Stickers, Dear Lizzy (366785) - Enamel Dots, Thickers (683535) - Index
How to: I like to start out a layout, using a background paper with a lined or grid pattern. This always helps me get an idea for the look of my layout. I printed my photo at 3x3 and layered one of the Photo Overlays from the Shimelle collection behind it. Then I cut one of the 3x4 cards from the Goodall patterned paper and placed it next to my photo and behind the Photo Overlay. I wanted a bold title, so I used the Index Thickers under my photo area. These Thickers worked well, because they complement the Cork Sticker that I used on my layout. I finished my layout by adding some stickers from the Accent & Phrase Stickers Book, die cuts, and some stamping.
It's the last gallery reveal for the 2013-2014 Design Team! Here are snippets of the projects you can view in full in the Layout Gallery:
Thanks again to our 2013-2014 Design Team!
Today we want to introduce you to our 2014-2014 American Crafts Design Team with a blog hop! Each member has created an inspiring layout using AC supplies - detail shots are shared here and the full layouts are on the designer's blogs - check 'em out:
Visit each blog, leave some love in the form of a comment, then come back here and leave a comment to enter to win a prize pack filled with supplies from our brand new collections!
Tell us - what is your all time favorite American Crafts collection? Winner will be randomly chosen and announced on Saturday September 6th 2014 - GOOD LUCK & HAPPY HOPPING!
Supplies: Tic Tac Toe Patterned Paper (366765) - Dear Lizzy Daydreamer, Wood Pieces (683391) - Crate Paper Oh Darling, Accent Stickers (683381) - Crate Paper Oh Darling, Thickers (366835) - Other Half, Remarks (366841) - Penpal, Ephemera Pack (683385) - Crate Paper Oh Darling, Matte Puffy Accents (366777) - Dear Lizzy Daydreamer
Supplies: Skipping Along Patterned Paper (366761) - Dear Lizzy Daydreamer, Veneer Set (366781) - Dear Lizzy Daydreamer, Printed Chipboard Shapes (366789) - Dear Lizzy Daydreamer, Flair (366906) - Amy Tangerine Plus One, Thickers (332198) - Printshop
Katie says, "A simple line of confetti adds the perfect touch to a layout with a big photo. It adds interest, without taking away from the focus of the page!"
Happy Friday! Have a great weekend! Tomorrow we'll reveal the last gallery for the 2013-2014 Design Team and then on Sunday we'll have a fun blog hop to kickstart the 2014-2015 Design Team!
Supplies: Paper Planes Paper (366748) - Daydreamer, Hula Hoop Paper (366760) - Daydreamer, Kickball Paper (366747) - Daydreamer, Marbles Paper (366749) - Daydreamer, Tic Tac Toe Paper (366765) Daydreamer, 6x6 Paper Pad (366767) - Daydreamer, Puffy Hearts Stickers (366777) - Remarks
Supplies: Nesting Die Set (366731) - Daydreamer, Mini Adhesive Badges (366795) - Embellishments, Enamel Dots (366785) - Embellishments, 6x6 Paper Pad (366767) - Daydreamer, Hop Scotch Paper (366743) - Daydreamer, Jump Rope (366753) - Daydreamer, Juggling Paper (366757) - Daydreamer
Supplies: Dear Lizzy American Crafts Stamp Silhouette Cut, Accent Phrase Stickers (366776) - Remarks, Cats Cradle Paper (366762) - Daydreamer, Wow Metallic Glitter (366605) - Embellishments, Sequins (366609) - DIY Shop, Dimensional Dots (61709) - Adhesive